Monday, August 24, 2009

Rock N Roll High School



August 24th marks the 30th Anniversary of Rock 'n Roll High School.

Allan Arkush, writer and director of RRHS had this to say:

30 years have come and gone, & this little movie about my own Rock n Roll Fantasy still endures. It was a changing point in my life. The friends I made while shooting & editing it are still my friends & I have watched their children grow. The experience of meeting & working with the Ramones ( And when I say Ramones I mean not just Johnny, Dee Dee, Marky & Joey, but the extended Ramones-Arturo , Monty, Danny 'Says", Linda & Seymour S., Ed Stasium, Micky, Charlotte, Vera .....) changed my life. I can't walk thru the East Village without looking up at Joey's old building & thinking of him & his pure spirit. I never left his apt. without a gift, a CD, a book, or a Hoodie that my daughters now wear & cherish. Johnny & I shared a love of movies & movie collecting, and Linda calls me to invite me to every LA Ramones event. Running into Marky at concerts or on radio & TV-("No Reservations!") - is ALWAYS a thrill.

The movie & its legacy follow me everywhere. Every show that I direct has some one on the crew who comes up to me with that look in their eye and says "Wow, you directed RnRHS, KOOOOL".

And I'm talking about a couple hundred shows. Not a week goes by without someone connecting me to that movie & it continues to entertain & connect with generation after generation.

So thank you to all the cast-PJ, Dey, Mary, Clint, the hall monitors, giant mouse, the extras who paid to be in the crowd scenes, & my dear friend in heaven Paul Mr. McGree Bartel. All the Crew on set & in the editing room(shout out to the Dead Boys all grown up with Dead Boys of their own), the supportive friends(Dr Savard), & the man himself Roger Corman. We've been going thru a tight wind, the kids are losing their mind...........my first night ever with the Ramones, Joey took me downtown to hang out at CBGB's it was august of 78, I met Deborah Harry, Lester Bangs, Tina Weymouth & so many more.............everyone is alive in my memories & on screen.........AA

No comments:

Post a Comment